Microwave Cake in a CupMarch 17, 2016
Caregiver in New York NY
As a family caregiver for your elderly parents, you spend a considerable amount of time and effort trying to make sure that your loved ones get the nutrition that they need to stay healthy. Sometimes, however, you just want a treat. Rather than spending a few hours making an entire cake and risking overindulging over the course of the next couple of days because you “do not want
to waste it”, use this quick and convenient recipe to make the perfect serving of cake for one person right in the microwave.
This recipe is specially formulated to bake up in the microwave so that you get a texture that is light, fluffy, and perfect for indulging your sweet tooth. Make this for your own little treat when you are enjoying some downtime at the end of a long day, or have fun making individual cakes with your seniors and even your children for a multigenerational treat creation evening.
If you do not have cocoa powder, you can substitute hot chocolate mix, but cut the sugar in half. Throw in a few chocolate chips for even more chocolatey goodness.
What You Will Need
• 1/4 of a cup of flour
• 5 tablespoons of sugar
• 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
• 1 egg
• 3 tablespoons of milk
• 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
• Vanilla extract
• A large microwavable mug
• A whisk
• A mixing bowl
• A microwave
• Baking cooking spray
What to Do
• Spray the microwavable mug thoroughly with baking cooking spray. Make sure that you are using cooking spray that says that it is for baking. This product contains flour which makes it easier for baked goods to slide out
• Add the flour to the mixing bowl and use the whisk to aerate and sift it
• Add the sugar and combine. If you like particularly sweet chocolate, you may add a little bit more sugar
• Add the cocoa powder to the mixing bowl and mix together to ensure that all of the dry ingredients combine thoroughly
• Break the egg into another bowl to ensure that it is fresh and that no small pieces of eggshell get into it
• Add the egg to the dry ingredients and whisk until thoroughly combined
• Slowly add in the vegetable oil while still whisking to help it to emulsify, improving the texture of the cake
• Still whisking, add a dash of the pure vanilla extract and salt to taste. The salt will help to counteract the sweetness of the rest of the dish, but also brings out the chocolatey flavor of the chocolate for a richer, more satisfying finish
• Whisk until smooth
• Pour into a large coffee mug until 3/4 full
• Place in the microwave
• Microwave for about 2 minutes, or until puffed
• You can eat the cake right out of the mug for an easy treat, or turn it out onto a plate and drizzle with chocolate syrup for something extra special. If you really want to take your cake to another level, add a layer of canned frosting or even your favorite homemade frosting for a true cake experience.
If you or an aging loved one are considering caregiver services in New York, NY, contact Star One Home Care and Medical Staffing at 718-733-2222 or 914-362-0899. Call today!
Patricia started her nursing career 19 years ago at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and research institution in New York City, and since then has gained experience in Adult Intensive Care Units (ICU) , Pediatric Care (PICU ), Operating Room (OR) , mental health and community settings. She later moved into director of nursing roles, where she obtained extensive experience in leading and developing the nursing profession. She also pioneered good partnership working with other health care organizations, as well as social services, and the wider community.